I wanted to share one of my new favorite ‘healthy sweet tooth’ recipes with you guys: healthy dark chocolate protein waffles!! I’ve been in looooove with the Kodiak Cakes brand for probably almost a year now. I really like their ‘flapjack on the go’ mini breakfast options in the flavor blueberry but I was hooked on just the regular sized buttermilk protein waffle mix for a long time. Since I was obsessed I never really tried a new flavor cause don’t fix what ain’t broke, am I right 😉 BUT I’ve had a terrible sweet tooth lately (thanks mother nature) so when I saw the dark chocolate flavor I had to try it out. I honestly went into it expecting them to be half ass chocolate waffles since they’re ‘healthy’ right? But they’re actually really good. The mix also has dark chocolate chips in them so the waffles literally melt in your mouth. #thankyouJesus
QUICK DISCLAIMER: I don’t really like dark chocolate in general. I think it’s too rich and I just prefer milk chocolate. BUT these waffles don’t taste dark chocolately to me. They’re a good balance 🙂 Give em a try!!!
Anywho, I’ve been making these waffles in the morning because I’ve noticed if I start the day with something sweet I don’t really crave sweets the rest of they day. Call me crazy but it’s been working out for me recently. Something to try out for my sweets lovers!!! I have been preparing 1 serving size (1/2 a cup) for my breakfast this week & last week and I top it with some sliced strawberries!! But there’s so many different variations and combinations you can make with Kodiak Cakes! For exampleeee:
Ingredient Swap Options: Customize Those Babies
- You can swap out the almond milk for water!! If you prefer to use water (or if you don’t have almond milk on deck) you can swap em out! I just like using the almond milk because I feel like it makes the texture a little more thick and that’s how I prefer my waffles and pancakes!
- You can swap out waffles for pancakes!! If you’re not a huge waffle lover or if you don’t have a waffle maker available to you, no problem!! You can still buy the mix, just make pancakes with them instead! Same jist on how you make these pancakes as you would make normal pancakes, and same flavor 🙂
- You can swap out the strawberries for other fruit!! If you’re not a strawberry lover that’s ok! Swap out the strawberries for you fruit of choice! I think they would pair nicely with bananas, blueberries, raspberries, etc. Up to you!
- You can swap out the pancake/waffle mix flavor!! If you’re not feeling the whole dark chocolate thing, don’t give up on the brand itself! They have a bunch of other flavors to choose from: dark chocolate, whole grain buttermilk, crunchy peanut butter all in protein packed pancake / waffle option!! Otherwise they have muffin mixes in blueberry & lemon (sounds so good, I NEED to try that option because you guys know I love lemon) blueberry & maple, I saw a mini sized on the go option in pumpkin & dark chocolate (also NEED to try. I LOVE pumpkin), cinnamon & maple, etc. They have a bunch to choose from!! I always buy the mix at HyVee, I believe they’re at select Targets and they’re also available for purchase on Amazon!
These waffles are SO GOOD! Plus it’s super easy to make! Here’s the recipe…
- Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Protein Packed Dark Chocolate Flapjack & Waffle Mix (longest brand name in the entire universe)
- 1/2 a cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 or 4 or how ever many strawberries you want to slice up to top the waffles!
- Waffle Maker
- Combine waffle mix & milk in a small / medium sized bowl
- Stir ingredients together
- Once waffle maker is warmed up (for my waffle maker you just have to plug it in and the light turns green when it is ‘pre-heated’) spray the waffle maker with Pam or any non-stick spray
- Pour 1/2 of the mix onto the waffle maker
- Close the top side of the maker so the waffle cooks evenly
- Once the green light is on (on my waffle maker once you close the top side, the light turns red when the waffle is cooking and then switches to green once the waffle is done cooking) the waffle is done cooking. Remove waffle and plate.
- Repeat steps 4&5 with remaining batter.
- Once waffles are plated, chop up strawberries
- Top waffles with chopped strawberries
- Serve & enjoy!
Hopefully you guys enjoy this fun & healthy recipe as much as I do!! 🙂
221 calories | 32 g carbs | 5 g fat | 15 g protein | 10 g sugar | 6 g fiber
Don’t forget to follow my blog so you don’t miss out on anything!!! You will receive a notification via email every time a new post is made! Just enter your email into the ‘Join the Tribe’ box and you’re good to go :):)
follow me on social media!!!
Facebook: Paige Trauernicht
Sending SO Much Love | xoxoxo