Happy Rainy Monday!!!
With the weather cooling down, it has been the perfect time to break out the crockpot soups! I’ve found a couple different soups that I would like to try out this fall, so I thought it would be fun to try them out and let you guys in on our favorite crockpot soups of the fall!! Here’s numero uno!!
I love making meals in the crockpot. It’s so easy to just throw a bunch of ingredients in that bad boy and let it cook throughout your day without having to monitor it all the time.. aaaand it always makes a bunch of food! So me and Kc are stocked up for the next couple of days with a yummy, decently healthy (high protein) soup for a cheap price! Bingo, bongo.
I have never made gumbo before, so I found a basic recipe to use as a guideline on Pinterest. I always like adding my own spices and ingredients (and removing ones I don’t like) so here is my customized version on the gumbo recipe!! Feel free to customize this recipe to your own liking as well!
From the recipe I found online: I added corn, Jambalaya Rice and scallops, and all of the seasonings above, removed the sausage (it gives me and Kc both acid reflex), green peppers, hot peppers, garlic & their spices and only used 1/2 an onion and 1/2 the serving size of chicken broth! You can totally customize any recipe to your liking 🙂
- 2 cobs of sweet corn
- 1 small, chopped tomato
- 1 chopped, red pepper
- 1/2 a chopped, yellow onion
- 2 (or 3) stalks of chopped celery
- 1 package of Zatarain’s Jambalaya Rice w/ cheese
- 1 lb of shrimp
- 1 lb of small scallops
- 1 lb of chopped chicken breast
- 1 cup of Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- Pink Himalayan Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Cholula Hot Sauce
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Randomly added spices: a little garlic salt, Lawry’s and Worcestershire Sauce
- These were all spices that just a sprinkle of it was added in the beginning stages when I was still deciding what it needed. The spices listed above are the main ones I went with that I would recommend to use! I just didn’t want to leave out anything I used either 🙂
- Chop up all of the veggies: celery, tomato, pepper, onion.
- Chop up the chicken.
- Add chicken, veggies, chicken broth & seasonings to the crock pot. For the seasonings, use your best judgement! I did not measure out how much I used of any seasoning. If you are unsure, I would recommend to add a little of each at the beginning and little amounts as you go until you get the flavor to where you enjoy it!
- Stir ingredients.
- DO NOT ADD THE RICE, SHRIMP OR SCALLOPS AT THIS TIME!!
- Cook all of these ingredients on the ‘Low’ setting for 4-5 hours.
- After 4-5 hours, cut the tails off of the shrimp.
- Add the scallops and shrimp to the crockpot.
- Stir ingredients & add additional seasoning if you prefer.
- Continue to cook ingredients on the ‘Low’ setting for 2-3 more hours.
- After 7-8 hours of cooking, turn your crockpot to the ‘keep warm’ setting – after you check to make sure all of the meats are cooked properly!!
- Cook the rice on the stovetop according to the instructions on the package.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the rice to the crockpot.
- Stir ingredients & add additional seasonings if you prefer.
- Grab a bowl & enjoy!
Let me know what crockpot soup you guys would like to me to make & share next!! I was thinking about doing a homemade chicken noodle or chicken tortilla!?
Also, let me know if you guys give this recipe a try and how you like it!! 🙂 Share your pictures of your own crockpot gumbo with me via social media!!
Don’t forget to follow my blog so you don’t miss out on anything!!! You will receive a notification via email every time a new post is made! Just enter your email into the ‘Join the Tribe’ box either located at the bottom or the right side of the page (depending which tab you’re on) and you’re good to go :):)
follow me on social media!!
YouTube: Paige Trauernicht
Sending SO Much Love | xoxoxo